Manchester United FINALLY land a new striker after sealing £3m loan deal for Shanghai Shenhua star Odion Ighalo… and Red Devils will pay a third of his £300,000 a week wages after giving up on Josh King when Bournemouth asked for £40MILLION!
Manchester United have completed the £3million loan signing of Odion Ighalo – but the deal does not include an option to buy.
Ighalo will travel back from China in the next few days. United see him as a short-term fix to striker problems exacerbated by Marcus Rashford’s back fracture, and good value for six months.
Sportsmail understand they beat Spurs to his signature with Jose Mourinho trying to solve his own striker crisis at the last minute on the final day of the window.
Odion Ighalo has completed his £3m season-long loan move to Manchester United
United will pay between £100,000 towards his mammoth £300,000-a-week earnings
The former Watford striker will travel back from China over the next few days
✍ #MUFC can confirm that Odion Ighalo will join us on loan from Shanghai Shenhua until the end of the season.
Welcome, Odion! 🔴
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) February 1, 2020
United are set to pay just a third of Odion Ighalo’s mammoth wages during his time at Old Trafford.
United sealed the shock deal late in the evening on deadline day for the former Watford striker.
He will join Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side until the end of the season. Speaking following the confirmation of the move, Solskjaer said: ‘Odion is an experienced player. He will come in and give us an option of a different type of centre-forward for the short spell he’s staying with us.
‘[He’s] a great lad and very professional, he will make the most of his time here.’
Ighalo, 30, has just under two years left on his £300,000-per-week contract with Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua.
United have agreed a contract that will see them contribute £100,000-per-week of that figure while he is on their books.
The Nigerian star has scored 46 goals in 72 games for Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua
United were told to pay £40m for Bournemouth’s Joshua King after their first bid was rejected
United turned their attention to Ighalo in their increasingly frantic search for a striker after Bournemouth wanted £40million for Josh King.
United conceded defeat in their bid to land Bournemouth’s King after their offer of around £20m on Thursday night was quickly rebuffed and described as ‘a joke’ by senior Bournemouth officials.
They followed that up by informing the Cherries they are now looking at alternatives to King rather than planning to make an improved offer.
IGHALO’S STATS AT WATFORD
Bournemouth were determined not lose King, 28, and United faced having to break the bank to stand any chance of persuading the Cherries to part with the former former Old Trafford academy product.
A series of strikers were eyed up by the powers that be at Old Trafford, though each failed to materialise.
United initially missed out on top target Erling Haaland who signed for Borussia Dortmund despite having previously worked with Solskjaer. Former Liverpool man Danny Ings was also another option, though Southampton stood firm on their stance of their talisman not being for sale.
A loan move for Leicester outcast Islam Slimani failed to get over the line, while United were also dashed in their attempts to sign Edinson Cavani and Krzysztof Piatek of AC Milan, who went on to secure a deadline day switch to Hertha Berlin.
Ighalo will now return to the Premier League with United, having left three years ago for China.
The 30-year-old scored 40 goals in 100 games for Watford before signing for Shanghai Shenhua in a £22m deal.
The Nigerian enjoyed a decent season last term, scoring 10 goals in 19 games for Shanghai despite missing over two months with a hamstring problem.